On Reading

"When you read a book, you don't just read, you journey. This is why at first, one is always regretful upon nearing the last page, thinking that it all ends there. But it is when we look into our minds after reading that we find the new world we discovered and with dawning realization see the truth of the matter:
...that the journey never ends."

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Review: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


I was really excited for this book. I mean, who wouldn’t, after reading that blurb from the back cover? It had a nice cover, a nice title, and so I had high expectations for it. Perhaps that was my issue with this book, hence the 3-star rating. I enjoyed it, but not to the point where I was singing about it and longing for it after it was done. 

Perfect Chemistry is quite literal and true to its title. Alex Fuentes, known gang member and Brittany Ellis, the school’s Ms. Perfect are forced to be lab partners in a Chemistry class. At first there’s tension, with both of them firmly believing that it won’t work, what with all their differences according to society, but as they spend time together, they find out that there may be more chemistry to them than they first thought.

THE BRIGHT SIDE

The three stars I gave Perfect Chemistry, I have to admit, were for three good points that I found in the book. The first and major reason why I liked it was because of the book’s underlying theme: being able to break the stereotypes that plague our society these days and proving that despite outer appearances, some of us may be more similar on the inside than we think. I liked the fact that Brittany was able to be true to herself, that she took risks and chances, and that as she went along, she found out that she doesn’t really care about what other people think. Going from Ms. Popular to that, I think her character was developed really well. Second, well of course I liked Alex. His desire to stand up for Brittany, his own change of heart, his love for Paco and his family, his sacrifices, he was really sweet. He tries really hard to show everyone the stereotypical gang member that everyone has pictured in their mind, but his intelligence, kind heart and dedication to the people he loves always shows. Lastly, the third star was for Shelley. She might seem an insignificant character, but to me, she was a major driving force in this book. She was really important to Brittany, and she impacted Brittany’s college choices. And come on, isn’t she just adorable with her checker-playing and hair-pulling? I loved her. 

THE DARK SIDE

It’s not that I didn’t like the plot, for me it was just, typical. It didn’t really have me thinking about what was going to happen next, because I always had an idea. It’s simple, with resolved conflicts and a happy ending, but I just didn’t enjoy it all too much. There were even times in the middle when I got bored, and wanted it to end. *shudders* I know, I know. It was weird and awful for me too, because I was all, “What? Me, bored with a YA book? Me, wanting to just finish it?” It just doesn’t happen all the time. 

So maybe my issues with this book were completely personal. Maybe I just read too much books enough to know what happens next, I don’t know. But in any case, at least I finished it. That counts for something, because at least I was intrigued enough to see how they’d end up together, because I already knew that they would, eventually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment